Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

Week 8- Close Reading in Math, Number Crunchers, and Newton's Laws

This week was full of lots of new things in our classroom. We started with Close Reading. Our instructional coach said she wanted us to do a close reading with our students before our next meeting and have something to bring back to share. Since I teach math and science I decided to adapt the close reading to word problems. I set up this chart so my students could use it to record the information in their math journal. This is just like our CUBE strategy for problem solving so it was easy for them to collect the information from the word problems and add it to their journals.

Untitled

Untitled
The 4th box must contain the work that show the answer to the problem and a complete sentence that answers the question in box 2.

Untitled

Untitled

I think has really helped my students with word problems. Some of them see a bunch of words and decide they can't do it. But this has allowed them to persevere and find the answer! Want to hear one of my students explain it in her own words? Listen to Gianna's showme below.



We also spent some time talking about the types of mistakes we make when doing math.

Untitled

By the end of the week my students were able to identify the types of mistakes they were making and correct them.

Untitled

Untitled

(See previous post for the posters- free)

Untitled

We also played Number Crunchers. (Free posters from the previous post)

Untitled Untitled Untitled

Instead of working with a partner we worked in small groups. Each student had their own set of Versatiles and a Smartpal with the problems inside. They followed the Number Crunchers rules to solve the problems. It was great listening in to groups and hearing them share and talk about the types of mistakes that were made.
Untitled Untitled

We have been studying Newton's Laws this week in science. If you study this you MUST check out these activities! My students loved them!

Newton's Laws of Motion Stations

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

This one had to be my favorite. Parents sent in raw and boiled eggs. I put a ? on one and an ! on the other. The students then had to spin the egg and use Newton's 1st law of motion to figure out which one was boiled and which was raw. I loved hearing their thoughts in this station.

Untitled

Untitled

STUDENTS: Which was your favorite Newton's Law Station? Why did you like it the best? What did you do in that station?

8 comments:

  1. This are great lessons. I was wondering if you would share the close math chart. This would be perfect for my kiddos.
    Sherry
    Sajohannes@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the 1 law,law of Irsha

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite station is the force station it was fun pushing Lawerence around in the chair. He was to Skyler then to me and so on. By:Lexie

    ReplyDelete
  4. acceleration .Cause it moves things. The one where we were pushing each other with the chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when we did the stations its exciting to do different things


    from,Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. it was not hard to do the egg station

    ReplyDelete
  7. would you be willing to share the close math boxes? I absolutely LOVE that idea, and my 5th graders are also struggling with word problems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link to my file with the meaningful mistakes file. I didn't come up with this, just types posters instead of using chart paper. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwiy68dukxjmk7h/MeaningfulMistakes.pdf

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. Students, make sure to answer the question of the week to earn your ticket for the good job jar. If you have trouble posting your comment just e-mail it to me and I'll post it for you.